Gutsy to Hardy upgrade

I installed Gutsy on my test partition, installed the apps I actually use, then copied over my config files and whatnot from my stable partition to make an almost-clone of stable. Changed the fstab to get rid of the horrid UUID that I hate, and then I did s/gutsy/hardy/g on sources.list and dist-upgraded to Hardy. On reboot, no partitions got mounted by fstab. What used to be hda, hdb, and hdc is now sda, sdb, and sdc. Simple fix, but annoying. Why do the device names have to change? What’s the point? I don’t get it.

Also a very minor problem with Firefox. It wanted to upgrade, but didn’t for some reason through Adept Updater. And I didn’t want it to, because for the time being, Firefox 2 > Firefox 3 (which is the new “Firefox” in Hardy). I tried to install FF2, but that failed. Had to upgrade FF first, then was able to install FF2 with no problem.

Anyhow, the rest of the upgrade seemed to go well. I’ll know better by tomorrow if everything’s working, but for now at least I’m enjoying an improved version of Kopete.

Advertisements
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

  • tim  On May 20, 2008 at 3:14 pm

    it’s because in the newer kernels there is no ‘IDE’ support anymore, everything’s been rolled up under the SCSI drivers. So, now the SCSI drivers support IDE. I think they changed the disk support to be more modular generally speaking, and this is the by-product.

Trackbacks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: